Hello

this is my blog about all the things i have tried, researched and or tripped over as i'm fumbling through life

Monday, January 17, 2011

Cooking: I've joined the food revolution.

My rule: I don't touch meat.  I've gotten pretty good at my fork skills but still things take way longer than they should.  Most of my married life I have managed to avoid anything to do with cooking a meal.   All these years we've survived on all sorts of sandwiches, pastas and salads.  My big problem was that I didn't have the patience or any skills to cook anything decent.  If I did attempt, it would either take way too long or the taste wouldn't be worth half the effort it took to make it.   So I've learnt that practice makes perfect and my family is benefitting from some pretty healthy meals.


This all changed last spring when I discovered Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution.  It is really the best basic cookbook around and it has really changed my hopeless disposition towards cooking.  It starts with 20 minute meals (a favourite section) and goes on to pasta, stir-fries, etc.  It covers everything to get you started.  Even eggs!


So this book is what got me interested, but there are a few others that I really like, along with the food network website.   I'm definitely no pro but I'm getting better at getting a meal on the table without breaking a sweat or running out of oven space.  


Some favourites: 
- Chicken and Leek Stroganoff
- Baked Camembert Pasta
- Macaroni and Cauliflower Cheese Bake
- A Cracking Burger
- All the 'Perfect Roast' Recipes


These are just a few that I've tried.  The book still has a lot to offer and I've had it for nearly a year!  I've bought it 5 times over for various gifts for others because I love it so much.


Loving today:


Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution, 

and
www.foodnetwork.com


All great sources of solving the 'what to make for dinner' conundrum.

Chocolate pudding cream tart made by me!

1 comment:

  1. That tart looks deelish!

    Now that you are becoming a foodie, we should look into some cooking classes! Will you come to The Dirty Apron with me? I want a buddy to come with me!!!
    http://www.dirtyapron.com/
    Claire

    ReplyDelete